The toll that caregiving takes can be great. Finding the time or resources to give yourself down time can be difficult, but is incredibly important to maintain your own physical and emotional well-being. If you are not well, then you cannot give the care your loved one deserves. Below is a great list of tips from caregiving.com to help you take control of your caregiving situation.
Dealing with Physical and Emotional Burdens
- Do not allow the person in your care to take unfair advantage of you by being overly demanding.
- Live one day at a time.
- List priorities, decide what to leave undone, and think of ways to make the work easier.When doing a long, boring care task, use the time to relax or listen to music.
- Find time for regular exercise to increase your energy (even if you only stretch in place).
- Focus on getting relaxing sleep rather than more sleep.
- Take several short rests in order to get enough sleep.
- Set aside time for prayer or reflection.
- Practice deep breathing and learn to meditate to empty your mind of all troubles.
- Allow your self-esteem to rise because you have discovered hidden skills and talents.
- Realize your own limitations and accept them.
- Make sure your goals are realistic; you may be unable to do everything you could do before.
- Keep your eating habits balanced; do not fall into a toast-and-tea habit.
- Take time for yourself.
Continue reading HERE.
To learn about using our free Care Advisor service for senior home care, and access our Provider Network of licensed, insured agencies, visit us at Advocare. No fee or contract is necessary to use the services of our Care Advisor. A Certified Senior Advisor will discuss your care needs, develop a profile of the best candidate, and schedule interviews with potential caregivers from multiple agencies. Our unique model allows the agencies to compete for your business and helps you choose the best caregiver for the best price.
We help families in South Florida with care management in the Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach and Palm Beach areas.